We are happy to say that the convention was again a big success and would like to thank all who attended!
This was our second year at Utsikten Meetings, and all the rooms were booked in an astounding 95 minutes after registration had opened - a new and very unexpected record. Once our second hotel was secured, our attendees managed to fill that one up as well! In all we were 513 attendees this year, which were about as many as the main hotel's fire regulations would allow. In all it was an increase of over 30% from NordicFuzzCon 2015, with 26 countries represented. Our charity this year, Kottecentralen, even joined the fun by making and wearing their own animal ears and tails, as well as getting a door sign for their room.
This was a year of many firsts and many highlights, including the following:
• We had a giant inflatable Mausie, standing over five meters tall, waving hello to all our attendees!
• We had a private showing of Disney's Zootopia movie at the nearby cinema, complete with fursuiters and selfies and post-movie howling.
• This year we had a not-quite-daily newsletter called What the Fuzz?!, printed out on genuine paper! All three issues are available digitally here as PDFs: http://2016.nordicfuzzcon.org/Program/WhatTheFuzz.htm The What the Fuzz?! printer did sadly not survive.
• This was the first year we offered SUPER early arrival, where you arrive the day before the early arrival day - so in effect, two days before the convention has officially started! Over 200 attendees chose this option.
• The Canadian furry convention VancouFur just happened to take place the same weekend as NordicFuzzCon. And guess what? They had chosen the same theme as us: Atlantis. We knew this must be destiny, so for parts of the convention we had a webcam stream set up in the lobby of our respective conventions! Attendees from both conventions could thus peek in and see what was going on, and communicate with each other through the magic of body language, and words written on real genuine paper.
• This was the first year we had an awards ceremony, where winners of various events were given fancy, genuine paper diplomas during the closing! One such diploma was given to the winners of the Best Door Sign award: it was awarded to Lune and Rabby for their underwater Zelda-themed door sign. It was drawn by Lune and has been uploaded here: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/19249967/
• We implemented the Blip system, which allowed for attendees to not only conveniently use their dinner tickets, but also to unlock achievements registered to their NordicFuzzCon accounts (which will carry over to future NordicFuzzCons as long as the same account is used when registering).
• We had a total of 265 registered fursuiters, so things naturally got busy at times in the fursuit photoshoot room. The pictures are all up online in our galleries, together with the attendee and fursuit group pictures: https://galleries.nordicfuzzcon.org/
• Despite all the fun things going on, some people still had nothing better to do than pressing The Pointless Button (found in the lobby). In the end, it was pressed a total of 60,782 times during the convention.
• Our charity this year, Kottecentralen, even joined in on the fun by hand-crafting their own animal ears and tails, as well as making their own door sign.
• We had no elevators malfunction or break down, which we believe is a first for any furry convention.
While the convention was overall successful there's always room for improvement, and we would love to hear back from you. If you missed your opportunity to give feedback during the convention through either the feedback boxes or the feedback panel, we also have a section on our forum where you can leave your written feedback online: https://forum.nordicfuzzcon.org/topics/47-Feedback-2016 Let us know how we can improve (but let us also know what we did right and what should remain the same).
You can also leave links to your own photographs or videos from this year's convention, for others to enjoy: https://forum.nordicfuzzcon.org/topics/48-Convention-Photos?videos%202016
If you have any pictures from this year's NordicFuzzCon that you would like added to our official galleries, please upload them to a ZIP or RAR file, and send the link to the following address: email@example.com. In the e-mail, also include your badge number and under what name you would like your pictures to be posted.
As for NordicFuzzCon 2017. As announced during the closing ceremony, we will be moving hotels yet again to allow for even more people to attend. In 2017, NordicFuzzCon will be held at the Scandic Infra City hotel in Upplands Väsby, Stockholm, from March 9th to March 12th. (With early arrival being on March 8th, and SUPER early arrival being on March 7th.) Our theme is Japan: Samurai or Super Kawaii? Celebrating Japanese culture, both past and present.
While we wait, why not enjoy enjoy these fun videos?
Zootopia Opening Cinema Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sDGPf1SKM
NordicFuzzCon 2016 Closing Ceremony Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNQb7suCgw
Cheese Party!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Exix6-jjw
~ Miles T.F. Baxxter
NordicFuzzCon Media Department