Battery Elijah O'flyng by Chakat Dreamspirit

Battery Elijah O'flyng

Chakat Dreamspirit

14 April 2014 at 05:36:20 MDT

Battery O'Flyng (1906-1918) - Battery Elijah O'Flyng is a concrete rifled gun battery built at Fort Canby starting in August 1904 and completed in December 1905. It was transferred to the Coastal Artillery 27 Feb 1906 at a cost of $39,290. Named for Ensign Elijah O'Flyng, 23rd U.S. Infantry who died 18 Sep 1814 at the siege of Fort Erie during the War of 1812. It is the only Fort Canby battery that faces in towards the Columbia River mouth.

Submission Information

Views:
673
Comments:
0
Favorites:
1
Rating:
General
Category:
Visual / Photography