IF you like retaining the rights to YOUR OWN CREATIONS and you like making a living, no matter how small or large, off of YOUR OWN WORK, you NEED to read this and take action BY JULY 23rd. This shit ain't no joke. I've already sent my letter to the office, and if you value the arts and your work, you'll at least highly consider taking some time out to send a quick email to the copyright office.
THIS PIECE OF LEGISLATION, resurrected from the bowels of 2008, WILL DO THE FOLLOWING:
“The Next Great Copyright Act” would replace all existing copyright law.
1. It would void our Constitutional right to the exclusive control of our work.
2. It would “privilege” the public’s right to use our work.
3. It would “pressure” you to register your life’s work with commercial registries.
4. It would “orphan” unregistered work.
5. It would make orphaned work available for commercial infringement by “good faith” infringers.
6. It would allow others to alter your work and copyright those “derivative works” in their own names.
7. It would affect all visual art: drawings, paintings, sketches, photos, etc.; past, present and future; published and unpublished; domestic and foreign.
UNLESS YOU HAVE REGISTERED YOUR WORK WITH THE COPYRIGHT OFFICE (which is expensive to even register a single piece, let alone hundreds), ALL OF YOUR WORK IS CONSIDERED ORPHAN AND UP FOR GRABS WITH THIS LEGISLATION. DON'T LET THAT FUCKING BULLSHIT HAPPEN. YOU CREATED YOUR WORK, YOU OWN YOUR WORK, YOU HAVE ALL RIGHTS TO YOUR WORK, SO LET'S KEEP IT THAT WAY. WRITE YOUR LETTER!
spread THE FUCKING WORD