So, I know there's already been some journals about this, but we've done the "moving to site" thing before and wanted to share a few tips with you guys a few ways to help move your watcherbase and make an easier transition to weasel from FA:
1. Post your submissions to weasyl first. We would do so up to a week before posting to FA, but a few days is also good. In the comment of your FA submission, state that you upload art to weasyl before FA. If you post a lot of art (a post a week or so) you can always have something new in your weasyl gallery for people to come look at. It helps new people to see that you actually do have other content on here.
2. Post cropped thumbs to FA and leave a link in the description (or write right on the art) that you can view the full versions on weasyl. This is one of our faves and has worked super well for advertising our comics, which are all hosted outside of our gallery.
3. Mini Kiribans this one takes a little more effort, but kiribans can be fun to do, especially sketches exploring things you are interested in! You can see an example of how to make a kiriban that includes everyone (not just the watcher of that number) here: https://www.weasyl.com/journal/22199/weasyl-kiriban
4. Spread This Advice Helping others to leave the abusive relationship that is FA can also help you. The more artists who come here, the more watchers will follow and the less reason people have to stay on FA. You don't need to link back or credit anywhere, just copy pasta this and any other good advice you may have for people! If we all help each other out, we can make this a very real thing.
5. Open commissions and giveaways on weasyl first Giving users first dibs on art on weasyl first will create more incentive to be here. Eventually, the offers won't last long enough to even get to FA.
In doing things like these, we have been able to afford to leave our main base of operations for commissions behind for greener pastures without taking hits. Commissions also used to be our main source of income and it can be scarey, but do not fret! There is always a way out :)
More very good tips that I did not include here because they are already here: https://www.weasyl.com/journal/24818
Tools for moving your galleries: http://projects.weasyl.com/
Tools for moving your watch list: http://projects.weasyl.com/soft/
Advertise you weasyl commissions: http://fa-exodus-database.tumblr.com/
Some benefits to starting over: http://mommashaus.tumblr.com/post/73884299686/the-benefits-of-starting-over-on-a-new-website-to
20 January 2014 at 00:58:14 MST