I'm sure everyone's got their reasons for leaving or sticking with FA, but I'm done with the site. I'm keeping my profile there and will continue to respond to messages, of course, but nothing further will be posted for the foreseeable future. Instead I'll be focusing my Furry efforts here.
Want the laundry list of reasons? Sure, why not. In no particular order:
- This laundry list was written in actual HTML.
- Obviously, security has a lot to do with it. Last time there was a major breach, I gave FA one last chance. The recent breach wasn't just an "oops", it was a complete fuckup that utilized an exploit even I knew about, and I'm not a programmer.
- I can post my concert videos as actual submissions, not as a journal entry. I put as much work into my videos as any illustrator puts into their porn; the video isn't a fucking diary entry, it's a submission.
- Videos and music can be posted as YouTube, Vimeo, SoundCloud, and BandCamp embeds. This means when people watch/listen on Weasyl, my stats go up on sites that matter to the rest of the world too. (Yes, I have to care about this shit if I'm gonna stay in business.)
- After countless suggestions and personal discussions with FA's owner over the years, Music submissions on FA are still shoved down to the bottom of the front page. Beneath poetry. POETRY, for fuck's sake.
- This site is open-source.
- This site is not owned by a sketchy VR startup with God-knows-what license to use people's submissions. It's owned and run by fans trying to make a great community site (and succeeding).
- Last I checked, the staff running this site aren't nearly as prone to unprofessional behavior and drama. But Weasyl is a Furry site… it may only be a matter of time.
- Weasyl performs regular maintenance and scheduled outages and comes back, usually, within half an hour.
- Weasyl's developers are trying to utilize external API's (like Vimeo, Soundcloud, Google Drive, etc.) to take the hosting load off their own servers. It's a level of innovation that will keep this site fresh and modern without placing a huge onus on what I assume is an all-volunteer staff.
- Weasyl actually works, which is more than I can say for Furry Network. I don't care how pretty their commercial was, I still can't upload a single video to that site.
There's probably more reasons than I can remember right now, but this is enough. Half of this is enough. I prefer to go where the community goes, but if the community's going to a building that's on fire, I'll be in the coffee shop across the street.